Sunday, September 20, 2009

Pandemic H1N1

While I have already mentioned that I am an avid evening news viewer, I also like to read up on issues that were introduced during the broadcast in an effort to gain more knowledge on the subject. For instances, everyone by now has heard of the swine flu or pandemic H1N1, but how many people truly know who is at risk and should be vaccinated? Unfortunately, I am interested in the facts of the pandemic H1N1 because I have been fighting a cold for the past two weeks. Recently when I spoke with a friend over the phone the first question that I was asked, is do I have the swine flu? I believe that the news can either educate or prompt us to be paranoid. This is why I find it important to seek alternate news sources on present issues pertaining to health. So regardless if the article as a straight news lead, which is a "just the facts" approach or a summary lead, which may have more then one major fact being covered, I am going to read the entire article because I am curious about the material. "The New York Times" published an article in the health section titled, "Vaccine for Swine Flu is Ahead of Expectations" on Sept. 18, 2009. The lead informed the reader, that more than three million doses of swine flu vaccine will be available by the first week of October. Donald McNeil, author of the article, said "The vaccine will be of the FluMist nasal spray which is not recommended for people with weak immune systems, pregnant women, people over 50, those with asthma, heart disease or several other problems. The nasal spray contains a weakened live virus, while injections contain killed and fragmented virus. The spray gives a stronger immune reaction but carries a small risk that the virus will multiply too quickly in people with comprised immunity." This articled allowed me to use my prior knowledge to better understand the form in which the vaccine is administered. I enjoy reading the newspaper because it allows readers to review information that as been presented so that the reader may become enlightened.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/19/health/19flu.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=h1n1%20articles&st=cse

1 comment:

  1. How interesting! I was unaware that the vaccine can be found in the form of nasal spray - I wonder if there are any accounts of those with "comprised immunity" who have had a severe reaction to the nasal spray?

    ReplyDelete